SOCIAL MEDIA

8/11/09

Deryn Mentock's Jewelry Challenge Project #16: "Moving Parts Necklace"

"Heart In Motion"

Voila! I just finished Project #16: "Moving Parts Necklace" in Mary Hettmansberger's book, "Wrap, Stitch, Fold & Rivet" for Deryn Mentock's Jewelry Challenge, and loved the project so much that I ended up making three different versions of the project.
The techniques used for this project are:
  • Applying heat-treated patinas
  • Drawing a bead on wire

The materials I used aren't exactly what Mary recommended, but I have been holding on to a variety of brass lamp banding, and they seemed perfect for this project.

The first thing I did for "Heart In Motion" was to create the heart base by shaping the banding into the heart shape and then soldering the ends together at the bottom of the piece. I used copper wire threaded through the body of the heart and threaded various silver-toned beads onto the wire. Then, instead of drawing a bead on the other side of the heart, I decided to create loops that I could hang metal spacers from. I like the movement the spacers add to the piece.

The centerpiece hangs from a handmade chain that incorporates brass, copper and steel/silver to tie in the components of the heart.



Below are two other versions of the project, also using brass lamp banding and various beads. Take a look and let me know what you think!








GranthamLynn said...

What beautiful pieces. I love them you are so talented!
BTW I am having a Gift a Way at my blog. I already entered you as a follower the more times you visit and the more comments you leave gets you another chance! I know you'll love the prize. Come by and enter.
And thanks for following me on the Journey,
Sherry

Diane said...

Molly! I simply love them =) What a clever use of brass lamp banding!! I love the heart, and the last one is also my favorite =)
xoxox

Job search said...

Your jewelries are beautifully hand made. You did a great job.

A Beaded Affair said...

I'm truly intrigued by these. Really top notch work, creative and still very wearable. Excellent job!

Stephani Gorman said...

Wow Molly! They are wonderful!!! Your pieces are beautiful!:)
Hugs, Stephani

Artzy Heart said...

Ohhhhhh, these are amazing! I love the interactive pieces you designed. I'm so brand new to jewelry making...completed my first charm for a necklace just 4 days ago.

Jan Thomason said...

omg, you are AMAZING!! these pieces are incredible - i can't believe i have such a talented friend. LOL
great job, molly. they look fabulous.
xoxo, jan

June said...

All I can say Molly is, THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!
Smiles,
June

Jen Crossley said...

Mollie wow this is just stunning
Jen

Jen Crossley said...

wow Mollie this is just Stunning
Jen