SOCIAL MEDIA

1/3/12

New Year's Resolutions


Instead of resolutions this year, I am going to be a little more realistic.

For me, resolutions only last a few weeks, and I feel guilty when they aren't followed through with, which leads to more unrealistic re-resoluting, and more unmet resolution guilt.  This vicious circle can and will continue until I simply walk away from them.

The problem with this is that many of my resolutions are things that will benefit me in the long run, improving things in my overall quality of life.

So I'm changing my mindset this year.

I've got specific things that I want to do better, and I know that I can do them better, so that's what I'm focusing on instead.  

I want to end the year ahead of where I began the year in regards to these specific things, and not stand still or complacent because I set unrealistic goals for myself that I cannot hope to accomplish.

And because accountability is a good thing when it comes to non-resolutions, I'm going to share with you some of the things I want to do better with this year:

- To read my Bible more consistently

- To pray more

- To eat less processed sugar

- To eat more healthily

- To be more active

- To communicate better with my extended family

- To use more of what I already have

- To buy less

- To be better at accounting for my business

- To cook more

- To laugh more

- To be less touchy

- To take less offense

- To love more

- To be grateful more


Just a few of the things I am going to work on, guilt-free.

And, hopefully, by the end of the year I will have moved forward and will not have given them up because of unnecessary guilt over unrealistic unmet goals.

So, what are you working on this year?
Jo said...

I understand exactly what you mean about resolutions - they always make me feel guilty too! I hope you have a wonderful 2012.

Courtney Breul said...

You made me smile. My list is very similar to yours. I am doing the eat better, exercise more (if weight loss happens, bonus) to be Present more and to relax and enjoy! Life is too short.