SOCIAL MEDIA

3/31/14

Up-Cycling Housewares Into A Fun Windchime

Our Prima Bead assignment this month was to use their products in a non-jewelry craft project.  As soon as I received my box of goodies, I knew what I wanted to make, but had to figure out exactly how to make it.

For a few years now, I've been collecting wind chimes that I hang in the huge tree outside my workshop window.  I love the colors that bounce around when the sun shines through the glass, and the sounds they make are so soothing.

For Christmas my good friend Penny gave me the coolest wind chime that was made out of old silverware, and when the wind hits it, the sound is absolutely beautiful.  I loved this idea, and wanted to build on it for my project by using more beads and kitchen items.  

What I came up with is this up-cycled housewares wind chime:


To make the wind chime I used the following materials:

One antique colander
4 antique / vintage / mismatched forks
Lots of 14g copper wire and 19g steel wire jump rings
A huge assortment of Prima beads and charms
10 inches of copper chain

Trying to get a great photo of the wind chime just wasn't in the cards, but I think you'll get the idea if I include some other pictures here (it is warm here in Phoenix, but a bit windy at my house, making it a little difficult to take a non-blurry outside picture):


Here's a close-up of the curled fork tines and the fun beads and charms.  I also used an antique key on the longest fork, keeping with the vintage feel of the piece:





This was such a fun piece to make - it may become my new favorite!

As always, thank you to Prima Bead for their generosity!

** Necessary Legal Stuff: I am honestly reviewing the products above which I have received free of charge from Prima Beads, and I have not been paid for my endorsement as it pertains to them.


Krafty Max Originals said...

I just love this idea!! I have so many wind chimes outside, but this one.... perfect! I bet it sounds as good as it looks!! :) ~KM

Shel said...

Oh what a great idea! I bet is sounds lovely, too!!