SOCIAL MEDIA

5/10/14

Welcome to the Bead Soup Blog Party!

What is a Bead Soup Blog Party?

 Each beader was paired up with another jewelry designer and tasked with sending the following:

- A focal
- A special clasp (not just a lobster claw)
- Some coordinating spacers or beads

Using the focal and the clasp was mandatory, but we could use anything from our own stash to round out the rest, and choose to use the coordinating beads or not.


You can see the picture of all the amazing beads I received from my fantastic Bead Soup partner, Nan Emmett of Spirited Earth Studio in this post.

With so many beads to work with, I barely had to add anything from my own stash, and I didn't even use up all of them!  I actually had a hard time settling my mind down enough to organize designs in my head, so I did something I never do: 

I sketched out the designs I wanted to make beforehand. Crazy - right?  

So many of my beady friends are planners who generally sketch out their designs before they make any jewelry, but I'm not that kind of artist.  I prefer the 'on the fly' method, and have rarely - if ever - sketched out my designs ahead of time, but this time I needed a way to reign in my ADHD brain and create a plan.  

Guess what?  It ACTUALLY worked!  

I was able to create a whole slew of designs, using up nearly all of the beads Nan sent to me, in an efficient but creative way, and I am SO happy with how they turned out!  

So, without further ado, here are the pieces I made with Nan's beads:

"In Flight"
When Nan sent me these butterflies, I knew that I wanted to create a statement piece incorporating all three of them in the same piece.  I felt that if I separated them into individual pieces, they wouldn't make as much of an impact as they do together, and this way they carry so much more visual weight.  I added some of the blue howlite, three of Nan's handmade rounds, some jonquil rondelles and the sweet blue and green Czech beads to bring out the various colors in the glazes of the butterflies.  I made a couple of quick handmade copper links and a handmade copper clasp and pulled the whole piece together with a dark green waxed Irish linen cord.  I decided to make a pair of earrings to go with the necklace:


The necklace hangs approximately 22 1/2", and the earrings are approximately 2" from the top of the ear wires.


I just love how these pieces turned out!

The next piece I made was a fun knotted bracelet using the same dark green waxed Irish linen cord with three of Nan's ceramic flowers:

"Triple-y"
I thought a great deal about how to best showcase these flowers, and decided to go with a simple, casual look.


I added in some small Czech rondelles from my stash and used one of Nan's ceramic rounds for the clasp.  Such a fun bracelet that will go with just about everything in my closet!

This next piece is made to wear as a wrap bracelet or as a reversible necklace.  I used the brass rounds, soapstone rounds, blue howlite roundels, white howlite rounds and focal, one of the brass shields and the brass toggle clasp:

"Elegance"




The next piece is one of my favorites.  I went back through photos of some of my old designs and decided to use simple 'stick' links (like I did in this design) with natural leather and copper to set off the beautiful tree of life bead:
"Roots"
The length of this necklace is about 17", and the focal hangs down an additional nearly 4" - quite a different kind of design for me.


The soapstone beads were a perfect compliment to the colors in the bead, and I wanted to let the simplicity of the design take a backseat to the focal.

This next piece is one I've already worn and *may* not be selling - lol!  I loved the dove pendant and wanted to find a fun way to use it, and a long tassel is what I came up with.

"Belief"
Sari silk is the perfect way to finish the cord of this necklace, while bringing in some deeper teal tones to the piece.



I was trying to figure out an unusual way to construct the tassel, and decided to cut up an antique sterling silver knife from one of my crazy collections.  The hollow handle is a perfect way to hide the innards of the tassel and also to create a matching bail.


This next design is just plain fun!  I used the house pendant, the remaining flower, the shield from HumbleBeads and a whole lot of Nan's ceramic rounds:

"Happy Home"
I used  some of my handmade enameled headpins as accents and for the wire wraps on the focal:


The antiqued copper is a fantastic finish with all of the beautiful ceramic finishes Nan used, and the olive green leather cording sets off the greens in the ceramics:



This last piece is right up my alley:
"Simplicity"
I had some of the beautiful ceramic rounds left, and wanted to use them in an organic, simple design, so I created a 'bead stick' that I did a messy wire wrap around.  I finished it off with a long piece of olive green leather and tight copper wire wraps, and I have my new weekend t-shirt necklace!


I have to say, I was VERY spoiled by my amazing soup partner.  If you only go out to see two other blogs in this hop, make Nan your first stop and our fabulous hostess extraordinaire, Lori Anderson your second:

Nan Emmett:     www.spiritrattles.blogspot.com

Lori Anderson, Hostess     www.PrettyThingsBlog.com

And then you can hop from Lori's blog to see the rest of the amazing 'soupers'!

Thank you so much for stopping by, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Anonymous said...

Fabulous soup to work with and you worked very hard to create those truly gorgeous pieces. I especially love those chain tassels and the wire wrapping too

coffeeaddict said...

Wow! so many gorgeous pieces :-)
I was particularly drawn to the chain tassel necklace with sari and bead cap, bail from the knife handle.

Regina said...

What an array of beautiful jewelry. Love the butterflies necklace. Nice work!

roomforchange said...

You made fantastic pieces Molly! You are so creative. I like all that you made but I like Simplicity most of all!

Lesley said...

Wonderful designs all Molly but I;m particularly taken with the stick links and happy home necklaces. Great work.

Anonymous said...

You certainly had an amazing soup, and you've created an equally amazing collection from it! I love it!

elisabeth said...

Wow! Incredible pieces and you made so many things. I love the butterfly necklace and the tassel necklace - I never would have imagined you used a knife handle :-)

Michelle Mach said...

You certainly were busy! I especially love the Simplicity necklace--that looks like something I'd love to wear!

Cece Cormier said...

Really creative designs. Love your style.

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Wow - what an amazing soup to play with! All of your pieces are gorgeous! Love the difference between all of them - especially that tassel necklace! Beautiful!!!

Charis Designs said...

So pretty- your Simplicity necklace is just that. Love the variety in all of your pieces. Christie

Terri said...

Amazing designs! A delight to look at them all!.... Wow!..... I really love what you did with the items Nan sent you. Really Really Soup-er!

Al@PolkaDotsandPaisley said...

So many stunning pieces. I don't think I could pick a favourite.

Peru-Medesigns said...

I love your bead work is very beautiful

Unknown said...

Fabulous pieces, but it expected nothing less!

Jean A. Wells said...

A SLEW for sure. Beautiful components and a beautiful use of them. I think Roots and Belief are my favorites. So pretty. Great job! Jean

Unknown said...

Great soup to work with and very inspiring designs :)

Coloraddiction said...

Lovely!! "In Flight" was my favorite - I just love butterflies. :)

Mary K. McGraw said...

You were able to create so many lovely pieces. My favorite was the one with the dove pendant. I can see why you may not sell that one.

Dolores Raml said...

Truly stunning pieces, love them all.

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

You were SO spoiled by Nan, Molly... but you did a fabulous job with her gifts. Absolutely gorgeous pieces!

Sheila said...

What a great soup! Love the asymmetrical big butterflies but my favorite is "belief". Wow. I like your work a lot.

Liz said...

Beautiful! I am a huge fan of Nan's work and she did spoil you! All your pieces are lovely. I especially liked the use of the end piece of a belt as a tassel top.

Unknown said...

Love everything but that chain tassel is awesome.

https://pattimillerbeads.blogspot.com/ said...

Wow! I love each and every one of your pieces. Your wire work is wonderful!

CreatingCures said...

These are all beautiful - great job! I love what you did w the hollow knife, brilliant. Be well ~~T

Leanne said...

Wow - I love everything you created. So beautiful! I can't pick a favorite but love the butterfly necklace.

Kari Asbury said...

So many fantastic designs! I love Nan's beads, charms and pendants...I have a 'small' collection. ;) You definitely did fabulous things. I really love the last necklace...so simple and perfect for your favorite weekend jeans and tee.

Unknown said...

So many pieces! They're all great, especially the bracelet/necklace and tassel necklace. As usual, your work is inspiring!

Unknown said...

Wow - beautiful, beautiful work! I love the colors and mixtures of materials.

Kumi Fisher said...

You had an amazing soup and your designs are gorgeous! I loved every single piece you made! What a talented artist!

Shai Williams said...

Wow! I am almost wordless. Every new design revealed became my favorite of the hop. They are all incredible. I especially liked how you made the cap from the knife. It is so unique!

Andrea said...

I ooohed and ahhhed my way through and then squealed on the last one!I LOVE it!!! seriously.... LOVE it!

Unknown said...

Oh yes! Nan's work in the hands of Molly! I love all your designs, especially how you chose to use the 3 butterflies in one piece and pulled it off beautifully! But the "Roots" piece really spoke to me, I love the lines of the necklace, the soft neutral colors and the wonderful hammered metal loops that add such beauty to the ceramic focal. I really admire your skills and eye for design, Molly!

Unknown said...

Every piece is more beautiful than the last!

Unknown said...

Oh Molly!!! So awesome and so many pieces!

Tandra said...

OMGosh WOW you got so many pieces made!!! The butterfly necklace and "Elegance" are my faves! Gorgeous!!

Bobbie said...

Holy cow, if that's what happens when you sketch out designs, maybe I should give it a shot! The butterfly necklace is my favorite, but I was also taken with the way you used the knife end as a tassel cap. Really creative!

Tammy Adams said...

Wow. I can't even think of the words to express how much I adore your designs. Spectacular seems inadequate but I'm going with that because those lovely pieces have shorted out my brain.

Jael said...

Incredible! I think I pinned most of your necklaces because I love the beads AND the designs!!

Ghislaine said...

Oh My!!! I really would not be able to pick a favorite! With every picture I saw I went 'whoa!' what an awesome collection...(and what an awesome soup you had to work with too!) YUM!

Niky Sayers said...

you made some seriouly lovely pieces, the butterfly one has to be my fav!

cleew09 said...

The bead soups you received are definitely above and beyond. I would have been overwhelmed! You did some beautiful things with what she sent you. Very earthy and easy to wear jewelry. I really liked your "dove", too, as well as your perfect "t-shirt" pendant.

Unknown said...

YOWZA! That's all I can say.

Unknown said...

oh my! such gorgeous pieces, all of them! I'm with you on the one with the tassel. & I'd be hard pressed to part with it too. Great job!

Nelly May said...

As I was reading through I kept thinking "ooh that's my fave" then "ooh no! That one!". I love the really earthy feel of all your pieces and how some beads are woven together and some on wire links. Truly delicious.

Becky Pancake said...

Molly you sure were busy. You really created a lot of pieces. The three butterflies do look good together and I can see Triple-y worn with it. I like how you used the brass shield in elegance. Being able to wear it as a bracelet or a necklace is great. Belief is my favorite. The way you used the knife handle is very creative and unique. Likewise the wire wrapped bead stick is creative too. Great job using your soup.

Unknown said...

You did a fantastic job on each piece! I love the way you wrapped the six bead set! Great job!

CraftyHope said...

Goodness!! You created SO MUCH for this party that it's almost overwhelming. . .almost. I can't even pick out a favorite design from among all the wonderful pieces you created. I do have to say that I've seen the hollow knife handles used in various ways lately, but your use of it as a bail is inspired!! What an amazing use of your soup.

Unknown said...

So many pretty creations! Very simple and elegant pieces...well done!

LiRaysa Designs said...

Absolutely gorgeous pieces. I think my favorite would be the butterfly necklace.

PiPa said...

I am speachless from all this beauty, so many reasons for that: creative use of many different media, great shapes and focal ideas; I love every piece!

fay ................................................... said...

Wow.. what a fantastic job with all your ingredients. I love them all!! can't pick a favorite

Purple Fish Studio said...

Great - Beautiful designs! I especially love the bead stick and how you wire wrapped it - Your pieces are simple and colorful - well balanced, yet organic.

Karin G said...

You created so many beautiful designs with this beautiful soup. I love the earthy feeling of your pieces and my favorite is Simplicity. It gives an impression of serenity.

Unknown said...

I'm in love with all you created with your soup!
Really great works!

Lori Anderson said...

Molly, you know how much I love your work (I wore one of your necklaces yesterday, in fact!) I ADORE your tassel -- I'm so into tassels as ornaments. And my favorite necklace I believe is the one with the house. I don't know why but oh it speaks to me.

Nan is a great bead maker and you sent her some AMAZING things, too -- you both did awesome, awesome work!

gelfling50 said...

Wow u were one busy girl....You made so many brilliant pieces and I love everyone of them. To me simplicity is also elegant just in a quiter way....I loved all the earthy tons in your designs and the textures were amazing. All together you did one mind boggeling crazy terrific job.

Divya N said...

Oh Molly, they are beautiful and what a great variety of techniques

sheilaposter said...

Theres a lot to like here, starting with casual t-shirt simplicity. I also liked your use of knife parts to form the treasure tassle

Pepita said...

So many beautiful pieces!!! Love all of them, but that wrap bracelet/neckalce speaks loud to me!!! Gorgeous!!!
Alenka

Karen Mitchell said...

Gorgeous soup, I love the pieces you've made with them, especially the Simplicity necklace.

bailaora said...

butterfly set absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

"simplicity" and "happy home". Great names, great pieces of art. all around wonderful.

Deelitful Boudoir Photography said...

I love those butterflies! Gorgeous work!

Linda A. said...

Gorgeous pieces! I'm obSESSED with the last piece - just so....perfect! Any chance you'd share with the class what type of wire you used? =)

Linda A.
http://fromTheBeadBoard.blogspot.com
http://cherryOnTopDesign.co

Barb Fernald said...

You made SO MANY amazing pieces with your soup. What fun! I like the way the first statement necklace came out with the wire hook on the side, connecting the butterflies. Really nice work, all of it.

BluMoon said...

What a lot of gorgeous things you have created with your soup I especially like 'In Flight' that is such a special necklace, but everything is well thought out, well done!
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Great makes! I know what you mean, I don't really do sketches either, but I think you did a great job anyway.

Maria Rosa Sharrow said...

I love them all. They are earthy,organic a touch rustic and whimsical amazing work.

Just Beads said...

OMG! All your pieces are amazing. Especially I love the butterfly necklace with the matching bracelet and earrings and the happy home necklace. The weekend t-shirt necklace I would wear every day :-)

Kokopelli said...

Wow, you showcased those incredibly beautiful beads perfectly! Well done!

WindDancerStudios said...

What wonderful pieces! I love those butterflies!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing soup! And you have showcased everything to perfection! I just can't choose one and say it is my fav and that does not happen very often. I'm really drawn to the "house" necklace, but dang, Roots is really talking to me also. Beautiful work!

Unknown said...

I am in AWE! What a great bunch of jewelry. I'm in love :)

AnnodArte said...

Love all of them!

Treasures by Louise said...

Lots of beautiful pieces, I love the chain tassel with the dove, I'd keep it too!

Kepi said...

Wow you outdid yourself, so many gorgeous pices, all little works of art. I love how organic and rich each piece is, fabulous designs!

Unknown said...

So many pieces, and thosebeautiful designs! What an amazing soup... Every piece has something special♥ So well balanced,and rustic, I love it!

bairozan said...

I'm truly impressed by your fabulous collection! From the bold use of all three butterflies in your first piece to the sparing design of the necklace with the tree of life focal, the reversible necklace and the bail made from a knife - your creativity is amazing!

Unknown said...

Love all your pieces. The colors are really nice. Wonderful designs.

Unknown said...

I really love your use of the linen, but more than that I love your designs! You did a Wonderful job with the beautiful beads, I love bold and bright and these really are that!!! Great Job! Have a Blessed Day!!!

Kelly said...

Still hopping....glad I did to see your pieces. They are each unique and lovely. You were provided a gorgeous soup & your creativity shines through with everything you made.

Kepi said...

Beautiful designs, love all your pieces. So earthy and so well put together. Great job!

Janice said...

Wow you came up with some fabulous designs but hands down my 2 favorites are the tassel. that was a brilliant bit of genius to use the knife handle for the bails and cap. I have some silver hollow knives I was saving to use for jewelry somehow. I had no clear plan yet. But I do now. That really was genius. My other favorite is the last piece you showed. Such raw beauty. Simple, rustic and stunning. Thank you for sharing your creative genius. I know I used that word a lot, but hey if the shoe fits. :)

Sharyl said...

What fantastic designs! (And how wonderful you got to have Nan Emmett as your soup partner!)